VPN provides a protective network connection while you use any public network. Also, it encrypts your online activities, and it makes it difficult for other parties when they try to track your activities. Play Stations are popular gaming consoles and also can stream content from some popular streaming platforms. However, If you are looking for how to use VPN on gaming consoles like PS4 and PS5, then this guide will help you get your answer.
Sony doesn’t have a dedicated app for VPN in the Playstation store. So here we will teach you some techniques to get a VPN on your Play station gaming consoles. However, there are four more various techniques here to get a VPN on your PS4 and PS5 consoles.
Now you can get additional privacy and security while playing games or surfing the internet from your Play Station gaming console by setting up with VPN. Eventhough you can unblock many streaming contents if it is not available in your country. Lets us see what are the ways to get a VPN on your PS consoles from the given below session.
⇨ Using a WiFi router
⇨ Connect with Smart DNS
⇨ Using Windows
⇨ Through macOS
Benefits of using VPN on PS4 or PS5:
Before we go to get the VPN on your PS4 or PS5 gaming consoles, then you should need to know its uses of it. Let’s see what benefits you will get when you set up your VPN to your console.
◾ The first thing is it will decrease the lag when you are playing the game from your console.
◾ Also, it saves you from potential DDOS attacks. Suppose you are a streamer.
◾ Other than the improvement of the online gaming experience also, you may be able to get a new game in advance before they release in your country.
◾ You can also get downlaod and play the game on the same day when they are released in Australia or any other countries if you are in US or UK.
◾ Although you can unlock much content to stream, even it is not available in your area.
How to Connect to VPN on PS4 or PS5?
Since there is no direct installation available for VPN apps on the Play Station consoles, then we have found some other ways to set it up with Play Station console using other devices like Wifi routers, SmartDNS, Windows and macOS. Let’s move to the process of setting up with VPN to your console.
First, you need to choose any of the best VPN services available in the market and then subscribe to its service. Once your console is connected to the internet from your router, then it would be the first device to connect with a VPN connection.
Moreover, most of the router is compatible with VPN service, so you should just provide your login credentials to your WiFi router settings by yourself. However, the steps may change based on which brand of router and VPN you are using. Check out this related post, Paramount Plus on PS4.
1. Connect VPN to your PS4 or PS5 using Wifi Router:
So we will explain the common method to set up a VPN to your Wifi router in the below steps.
Initially, sign in to your router network and enter the settings section. Further, search for the VPN home page, and it will ask you to fill it out from the below section.
⇨ Name of the service.
⇨ Server Address
⇨ Name of your account or email id
⇨ Encryption key to pre-share
In case your router no longer supports a VPN, then you need to purchase which supports the Wifi router to the VPN service. So it is the only option for you to connect to a VPN to your PS4 and PS5 consoles.
Once you have got the VPN that is best for you, then enter the VPN credentials to your router from the website. Here we enlisted some of the best VPNs that will be an excellent option for you to get on your console and any other devices.
Moreover, VPN needs good processing power, but most routers don’t support the software. First, you should need to get your VPN and then confirm that it is compatible with your router. Also, some of the free service VPNs work well on your smartphone and other devices. Checkout similar article HALO on PS4
Important Note: If your VPN from your router runs with every device that setups with the internet, use the VPN connection. It may trouble some devices.
2. Connect a Smart DNS to your PS4 or PS5:
It is the other way to connect a VPN to your PS console with the help of Smart DNS. However, it is an easy method to set up even if you don’t have much knowledge about it.
First, you should know one thing clearly every VPN doesn’t offer this method, and also, it only gives you half of the benefits of your VPN. Even if it lets you change your location and unlocks the geo-restricted content, unluckily, it doesn’t encrypt your data.
In case you want to encrypt your data online, then read it carefully. Initially, get a Smart DNS from your VPN service, which you use on your Playstation. Then there are many popular VPNs available in the market, so that you can choose any of them. Yet to get Smart DNS may differ from service to service.
First of all, you should need to sign in with your account using its credentials. Then you can able to search the path to get the address. Nevertheless, if you have any queries, then make sure to contact your service provider customer support to lead you the right way.
After you have gotten it, then complete the procedures from your Play Station console.
Play Station 4:
- Go to the settings and choose Network.
- Choose the set Up Internet Connection and pick LAN or Wifi based on which you use.
- Choose Custom and make your IP Address to Auto.
- Again set it up with DCHP Host to Do Not Specify.
- Then make DNS to Manual and register the Smart DNS to your VPN.
- Further, make MUT Settings to Auto.
- Again set the Proxy Server to Do not Use.
- Then choose Test Internet Connection to make sure your settings.
Play Station 5:
- Follow the above two steps from the PS4.
- Choose your connection and hit the options button to set up the options menu.
- Choose the Advanced Settings section.
- Make your IP Address to Auto.
- Set DCHP Host to Do Not Specify.
- Then choose Manual to DNS settings.
- Next, set MUT to Auto and make Proxy Server to Do Not Use.
- Choose test Internet Connection to make sure your settings.
That is it; now you can set it up with your Smart DNS and also unblock any. Content even if you are in a geo-restricted area. Also, read this guide for Live TV on PS4
3. Set up VPN to PS4 or PS5 using macOS:
Here we explain the best way to use VPN on PS or PS5 console using the Mac devices with the help of an ethernet cable.
- Confirm that your Mac device has an ethernet port and wifi as well as in your console.
- Then register to a VPN provider that supposes you have not before.
- Install the VPN and connect your ethernet cable to your Mac device and to your console.
- Navigate to the System Preferences and choose Sharing.
- Now choose Internet Sharing in the list and choose Wifi in the Share your connection from the listed menu.
6. Confirm that Ethernet is in the To computers using the menu.
7. Verify the box from the Internet Sharing on the list to allow the sharing of your internet supply.
8. Now confirm that by ticking on it, and it will indicate a green light for the successful completion.
9. Next, open the VPN software from your Mac and set it up with your chosen server.
Settings >> Network Settings >> Set up Internet connection >> LAN cable & choose Easy connection.
Settings >> Network >> Set it up Internet connection >> scan automatically >> connect to your ethernet connection.
4. Connect VPN on PS4 or PS5 using Windows:
⇨ Move to TAP adapter settings:
- Choose Wifi from the right-click on your screen.
- Tap to open the network & internet settings.
- Navigate to the Wifi or Ethernet section.
- Tap on the Change adapter option under the Wifi section.
- If you see your VPN TAP adapter with any other adapter, then set up with the wifi.
⇨ Turn On Mobile Hotspot:
- Tap on the wifi icon and move to the Open Network & Internet settings.
- Search for a Mobile hotspot and tap on it.
- Tap to enable the mobile hotspot in the Share my internet.
⇨ Arrange the VPN Adapter:
- View a new network adapter after the mobile hotspot once turned on.
- Tap on the VPN TAP adapter and choose the properties.
- Move to the sharing tile in the new window.
- Verify Allow other network users to connect.
- Further, Choose a Home networking connection.
Note: Add the same name of your new network adapter to the mobile hotspot.
⇨ Set up VPN:
- Open the VPN app and move to settings and Advanced protocol.
- Go to the Advanced Protocol and choose the OpenVPN (UDP) protocol.
- Set up the VPN location, and lastly, every device which is linked to your mobile hotspot will be connected to the VPN service.
Try all the above steps to connect VPN with PS4 and PS5 gaming consoles. If you have any more questions regarding the VPN on PS4 and PS5 consoles, let me know in the comment section.